Published 18th March 2020.
To Travel or Not to Travel.
Lot of people are concerned and asking questions about travel or their kids returning home from Covid19 affected Countries.
The recommendations to keep yourself and Nepal safe:
1. Refrain from any travels as much as possible. Postpone if possible.
2. If you do need to travel or your kids are still returning home: PLEASE BE RESPONSIBLE CITIZEN and follow self quarantine instructions that will be provided at the Airport. You need to self quarantine for 14 days.
Rules of self quarantine: (source: Ministry of Health, Nepal)
1. Stay in a well ventilated single room, and if that is not possible,
maintain a distance of at least 1 m from the other person sleeping in a
2. Use Separate bathroom if available, if not, clean and disinfect bathroom and toilet surfaces after use.
3. Clean the room yourself.
4. Limit movement in the house and the shared spaces. Ensure that shared spaces (e.g. kitchen, bathroom) are well ventilated (e.g. keep windows open).
5. Restrict activities outside house or residence except for getting medical care. Do not go to work, school, college or public areas and do not use public transportation.
6. Frequently wash hands with soap and water thoroughly for 20 seconds, or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
7. Avoid sharing household items such as dishes, drinking glasses, cups, eating utensils, towels, bedding, or other items with other people at home. After using these items, wash them thoroughly with soap and water.
8. Minimize the number of direct interaction with other persons.
9. If have to interact with other people, maintain a distance of at least 1 meter (3 ft) and also wear a face mask while in the same room with other person and if you have to visit a healthcare provider.
10. Cover mouth and nose with tissue or handkerchief when cough or sneeze, or cough or sneeze into sleeves.
11. Throw used tissues, masks and other generated from room in a separate waste bin, or wash handkerchief with soap and water and dry well in the sun, immediately wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
12. Follow instructions provided by Ministry of Health and Population Authorities of Nepal and extend all needful co-operations.
13. Monitor and record temperature once a day as per self-monitoring form and provide daily health status update as instructed for 14 days.
14. Should not travel outside the quarantine location without prior permission from the authorities of MoHP.
Please note that there is still no guarantee that Nepal will not have an outbreak. Please think carefully before deciding to travel to Nepal or call your kids back to Nepal.
Don’t Panic and Stay Calm.